By / Troy Said
Your moving interstate checklist: from 4 weeks out to moving day
Moving interstate with the family but secretly dreading it?
The planning. The hassle. All those things to organise. It’s a big move, right?
Fear not. There are some easy things you can to do make it a seamless experience.
And at Interstate Removals, we have got moving people across Australia down to a fine art over the last 10 years.
Here’s our moving interstate checklist for a hassle-free move from a month out.
4 weeks from moving day
- Organise a removalist. Ask for one that provides a quality customer service experience at a reasonable price. Not all removal companies are made equal! (Ask us for a quote here).
- Organise contents and household insurance.
- Notify your electoral office of your new address, driver’s licence and car registration.
- Create a list of all your possessions.
- Create a plan for what you want to get rid of. Using sites like Trash Nothing, eBay or Gumtree are good options.
2 weeks before the move
- Find packing materials. For a move interstate, most removalists will ask that you pack yourself. Doing this will also save you time and money.
- Stock up on good quality packing materials and good quality one-sized boxes. Read our guide to packing fragile items here.
- Organise for a rubbish removal if you have excess junk.
- Organise storage if you can’t take all your belongings with you.
- Pay to have mail redirected to your new address.
1 week before the move
- Empty your refrigerator. Only take the items you will need the last few days before the move.
- Keep all important documents in a central place for your journey.
- Clean your old home and organise a carpet cleaner.
On moving day
- Carry all valuables with you (for example jewellery, cash, medications
- Lock all doors and windows
- Check lights and taps are turned off
- Do a walk around each room, open all cupboards and check shelves
- Leave keys/garage door openers in one place
- Don’t forget your pets!
We hope this helps with your journey. We’ve love to help create an incredible experience for you – so everything is taking care of when you move interstate and you can just enjoy it!
To enquire about how Interstate Removals can help you plan and create a stress-free move, call us on 1300 299 969 0r send through a fast quote for your upcoming interstate move.